Sunday 24 August 2008

More From Pat Haven









I had another trip down to patrington Haven yesterday, I was hoping to get some shots of the greenshanks that are currently residing there.
It was my intention to get there a couple of hours before the tide came in and set up my small hide to wait for the birds.
After initially flushing a few redshank on the pool as I set up, it wasn't long before the birds started to come back.
First was a knot, then a redshank and a juvenile ruff.The bird activity increased dramatically as the tide flooded and the sky was filed with the sound of thousands of knot.
Soon the greenshank came they settled at opposite me about 30m away and roosted with just the odd flurry of activity.
More redshank came in along with a couple of Dunlin, and also a littel egret came in for a short while.
One of the problems with Pat Haven is that it is quite a popular walking area and anyone up on the bank invariably flushes all the birds.
I figured that If I got there early I might have a couple of hours undisturbed.Fortunately it wasn't while half eleven that the first walker came along so at this point I decide to pack up and go.
I noticed a couple of short eared owls hunting in the field opposite as I walked back.
Another nice morning, still didn't get any shots of the grey or golden plovers, I might have to change my spot...........

No comments: