Sunday 18 October 2009

Red Flanked Bluetail

Although I didn't manage any shots, I thought this bird deserved a mention.
Went for a look around Holmpton yesterday dinner time and didn't see much apart from a couple of reed buntimg.
It was probably too blustery.
On the way back to the car I got an alert confirming a red flanked bluetail at the Crown and Anchor.
On arriving, the bird had been trapped and ringed and released near the canal scrape.
A quick dash along the bank to the crowd eagerly awaiting a re-appearance.
I waited just over an hour with no sign so set off back to the car (it was getting chilly).I had a quick look back at the last few bushes near the fence line and there it wa sat up on some dead brambles, the views weren't great but I watched it flicking about for a couple of minutes.Then a big crowd descended and it seemed to disappear.
It was good enough for me a proper Siberian mega.Superb.

No comments: