Sunday 12 December 2010

Winter waders

I set off for Spurn this morning for an outside chance of a male hen harrier.The day got off to a good start with a single waxwing perched at the top of a tree in Thorngumbald.
When I got to Spurn I noticed the massive amount of waders feeding in the flooded fields so using the car as a hide I stayed with them for a couple of hours.
Nothing unusual but the curlew,snipe,lapwing,redshank,dunlin,golden plover, oystercatcher, ringed plover and godwits made for some good photographic opportunities. I didn't actually get down to Spurn but called in via Sunk Island on the way home. A single pheasant in a snowy field was nice along with a mixed flock of thrushes including blackbird, fieldfare and redwing and finally a small flock of twite on the roadside.
The conditions are making things difficult for the birds and it looks set to get cold again next week.















































































No comments: