Sunday 13 March 2011

Welton waters

I had a couple of spare hours this afternoon so I headed up to Welton waters in the hope of a view of a red-breasted merganser.
I knew it had been sighted on the angling complex but didn't know where.
The walk down the lane was fairly uneventful with a few common species at the end the large angling lake was more viewable but there were only goldeneye, pochard and tufted duck.
there was one singing marsh tit also an an obliging wren and an even more obliging weasel.
As I went back up the lane the sun came out and I heard a singing chiff-chaff- my first of the year.
Just before I got back to the car I had one last glance at the angling complex and I managed to find the RBM.
Quite distant and the wrong light but at least I got half a decent view.









2 comments:

Caroline Gill said...

Pleased you were rewarded. A wonderful collection.

Erich Hediger said...

Well done Martin. Thought I was going to be the only one to see the Mergs. Glad you got the drake as it's a cracking bird. Could you sent a shot to the HVWG site.