Saturday 5 April 2014

Springtime at Spurn

Springtime is usually a little later at Spurn than the remainder of the country and its usually well into April before the migrants arrive in big numbers.
However the recent mild weather coupled with an almost non existent winter (in terms of cold temperatures) has meant that there has been a definite showing of signs that Spring has well and truly sprung.
First stop was canal scrape and apart from a couple of coots and little grebes, it was very quiet.
Onward then to Sammy's Point in the hope of a spring migrant (ring ouzel?wheatear?firecrest?) unfortunately on the first pass there was no sign of either although there was plant of bird activity and my first swallow of the year, the only other highlight being a couple of chief-chaffs.
I though I would concentrate on one of the chiff-chaffs for a while as quite often watching the antics of one bird can betray the presence of another, however on this occasion is was not to be.
Idid notice that the chief chaff was hovering quite a bit looking for early insects and I did manage to catch a couple of shots in mid hover that I was pleased with.
I then went back to the Crown and again common birds in the bushes so I went to collect my copy of Spurn Wildlife and it has to be said that this years is the best ever and it reflects in great detail what was a very exciting and eventful year at Spurn.
The wryneck from yesterday was still present but I only got fleeting distant views nothing like the showy birds of the Autumn.
It was at this point I saw a merlin heading south.
I thought I would have a look at Sammy's Point again before heading for home and it was here that I was duly rewarded with my first wheatear of the year.
All in all a very pleasant morning.







No comments: