Saturday 2 May 2009

Black Redstart

I had a ride out to Spurn this morning in the hope of a blue headed wagtail.
I went to the Point first and almost as soon as I got there I heard this superb black redstart calling.
It was a bit dull at first but after a walk round the parade ground and bushes, the sun came out and this little fellow performed brilliantly.
Spending some time calling on the sea wall he then dropped down to feed sometimes coming within 10 feet (so close that i couldn't focus).
After spending a couple of hours on Point I went up to the canal zone and saw some common migrants plus a very nice clouded yellow.
No wagtails on walker butts and only pied at Sammy's Point so pretty quiet generally.
We need a nic fall of Spring migrants, but for that to happen we need a change in the weather.





3 comments:

Michael Flowers said...

Excellent series of pictures - just wished I'd seen it - only had distant views of a male like this.

Nick Patel said...

Oooh, Martin. i won't even go into my jealousy right now.

awesome shots.

cheers.

East Yorkshire Wildlife said...

Thanks for your comments guys.