Sunday 17 May 2009

Swinemoor Stakeout!

I started off at Spurn yesterday and hoped for some rare migrants, although there were a few birds about it was disappointing.In the afternoon I heard of a temmincks stint at Swine Moor.
I thought I would take the dog along to have a look and sure enough it was feeding quite close to the main bank with a party of little ringed and ringed plovers.
I thought I would be able to get a shot if it came back to the same place so I set off before dawn this morning complete with bag hide.
Luckily there was nothing on the pool when I arrived so I crept to the edge and waited.
There were a few lapwings and redshanks about plus a very confiding pied wagtail (down to 3ft!) then after a couple of hours a little ringed plover came nearby.I thought I might as well get a few shots of that seeing as it was quite close then the temmincks stint scurried past the LRP!
It stayed for about 15mins feeding and preening then a greenshank came along.
After that, the whole lot got flushed by a roving sparrowhawk so I thought it a good time to pack up.
It was a superb experience out in the early morning, nice weather surrounded by brilliant birds and to top it some really close views of a rare migrant.
I was back in the house at 8.30 for breakfast.
Cracking.
Temmincks Stint

Temmincks Stint

Temmincks Stint

Temmincks Stint

Temmincks Stint

Temmincks Stint

Greenshank

Greenshank

Little Ringed Plover

Little Ringed Plover

Little Ringed Plover

Redshank

Lapwing

No comments: