Thursday 30 September 2010

Cracking day at Spurn

Today at spurn was one of those days that will stay in the memory for a long time.

There was birds everywhere form start to finish.

I started around post 62 and straight away i saw whinchat,stonechat, meadow pipit and reed bunting. Furtherinto the bushes and it wa alive with robins plus some very confiding siskins and a few willow warblers and chiff chaffs. news of a great grey shrike had me heading up to the gate and albeit distant, the shrike showd very well with a small vole pinned to a branch in its 'larder'.

While I was there I called in at canal scrape and this yielded redstart, willow warbler, grey wagtail, wheatear, dunlin and some very confiding song thrush.

from there I went back to the point in search of a red-breasted flycatcher. it was flitting around the gun emplacement and after a walk round to get better views, it showd very well.

the walk produced even more thrushes including a couple of ring ouzel.

Also near the rbf there was pied and spotted flycatcher a garden warbler more siskins a brambling and a good passage of thrushes heading south. I had a distant view of another great grey shrike before heading back up towards the Crown.

On the way I saw a couple of short eared owls and a pair of little egret.

I looked in the crown car park and there weremarkedly less birds there, I saw a pair of blackcap and finished the day with a yellow browed warbler.





Red breasted flycatcher

Red breasted flycatcher


Red breasted flycatcher




Red breasted flycatcher



Red breasted flycatcher



Great grey shrike



Brambling


Grey wagtail


Siskin



Goldcrest


Robin

Wheatear

Blackcap

Whinchat


Garden warbler

1 comment:

Paul Foster said...

Great account of your day at Spurn Martin.I was there Tues! Days like that are special and to be savoured!

Will be following your blob!!!